“[A] pillar of American postmodern dance.”—New York Times
In planning since before Trisha Brown’s death earlier this year, ArtPower is proud to present a unique iteration of In Plain Site, a site-specific work created for the UC San Diego campus by Trisha Brown Dance Company (TBDC). The company will adapt Brown’s signature works around the campus, honoring her commitment to the presentation of performances in nontraditional venues, a format she helped pioneer.
Brown was an iconic American choreographer and cofounder of postmodern dance. She formed TBDC in 1970, and the company has toured her work throughout the world. She was a recipient of awards from the MacArthur Foundation, U.S. Artists, the Dorothy & Lillian Gish Prize, and the National Medal of the Arts, among many others.
Brown engaged collaborators who are themselves leaders in music, theater, and the visual arts, including visual artists Robert Rauschenberg, Donald Judd, and Elizabeth Murray, and musicians Laurie Anderson, John Cage, and Alvin Curran, just to name a few. With these partners, she created exceptionally varied works that have been staples in the dance world for decades.
Part of La Jolla Playhouse’s WoW festival.
- This performance takes place outdoors, on top of grass/uneven ground.
- Please wear comfortable shoes for walking.
- Please bring a light jacket as the San Diego weather is unpredictable.
- Wheelchair seating and accessible parking are available.
- Chairs will be available for ticket holders.
- More questions/concerns? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please see map below for parking, on-site box office, and venue location.
Want a dropped pin the day of show? Text Joanna (Associate Director of Marketing and Communications) at 858-230-0943 with the message “Need TBDC pin drop.”